Well, the mango season has come up. The air is scented with the aroma of sweet mangoes whenever you step out to a market. Many of us love to relish this king of fruits and wait for the season to arrive every year. While we all love the lip smacking taste of this fruit there are many inhibitions lingering around in our minds like, what if I gain wait, what if I develop acne, what if my cholesterol increases, what if my sugar levels increase, what if I get heat sours, oh my God!! The list goes on and on. But please be aware that Mangoes are not as dangerous as you feel, they are in fact very nutritious and a must have fruit in the season. To rule out all the myths against Mangoes let us now know few of the myriad health benefits of Mangoes.
1. Mangoes are very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. They are an excellent source of dietary fiber and vitamin B6, vitamin A and vitamin C. They are rich in minerals like potassium, magnesium, copper and they are one of the best sources of power anti-oxidants like beta-carotene, astragalin and quercetin which would neutralize free radicals which cause heart diseases, premature aging, cancer and degenerative diseases.
2. Mangoes have high amounts of pectin that efficiently contributes to lower cholesterol levels in the blood. Pectin helps in prevention of prostate cancer. The European Prospective Investigation of Cancer also has come up with a strong association between eating a mango and lowering the risk of cancer of the gastrointestinal tract.
3. If you are under weight and wish to gain in a healthy way, try mangoes. 150 gms of mangoes contain around 86 calories which can be absorbed easily by the body. They contain starch, which converts into sugars and helps in weight gain.
4. Mangoes help in easy digestion and reduce acidity. The digestive enzymes in them promote natural and efficient digestion. The bioactive ingredients in Mangoes like esters, terpens, and aldehydes contribute in enhancing appetite and helps in the functioning of the digestive system.
5. Mangoes are rich in iron and help in curing anemia. A regular intake may increase the count of red blood cells in the body and leads in curing anemia.
6. Let us tell you something surprising now. As you all were thinking that Mangoes cause acne, let me tell you, in fact mangoes bring a healty glow to the skin. They help to lighten the skin colour as well. They open the pores of the skin and hence treat acne problems as well. To get rid of acne you don’t have to eat mangoes but can just apply the pulp of it on the skin for 10 mins and rinse it off.